Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Reflective Essay 1

With the Blockville project, I decided that it was finished because I personally was at the point where, as an artist, I felt I could not add much else to the work. Also, I think my Blockville was starting to look full enough without looking to crowded.

Even after I considered Blockville "finished", I still went back and found a few things to edit. Unlike previous art mediums that I have experience with, 3D modeling allows me to change things that I have already put into the picture. Trying to correct mistakes with paint or pencil will leave a mark of some kind. One of the reasons I enjoyed working with Maya was because I can manipulate and delete object without after effects. I can just keep working on a project until it is perfect.

The most important thing I learned while building Blockville was to start with the big picture. I will never again make the mistake of trying to work on tinny details when I could and should be working with larger and fewer shapes. Another idea that I am still getting used to is that of repetition. While I can easily do repetition in art, I am still trying to find ways to make projects easier by using the same object over and over again, but differently each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment